Chris Nelson, Morning Meteorologist
Chris Nelson is the morning meteorologist at CBS58. Nelson received his Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Seal from the American Meteorological Society, a distinguished seal only a few have in the state. He was also awarded "Best Weathercast" from the Wisconsin Broadcast Association in 2016.
Nelson comes to CBS58 from WSAW-TV in Wausau, WI, where he served as Chief Meteorologist for two years. Prior to that, he worked at KTNV-TV in Las Vegas, NV as the evening weekend meteorologist, and also KMIR-TV as the weekend meteorologist.
Growing up, Nelson was always curious about the weather; watching the Weather Channel and reading the crawl on television during severe weather events. You could say he was (and is) a true weather fanatic! Nelson has seen blizzards, major flooding events, intense heat waves, and brutally cold outbreaks. It was seeing his first Tornado in fourth grade, though that he knew a career in weather was for him.
Nelson was born and lived most of his life in Denmark, WI, a small town about 15 miles southeast of Green Bay. However, he spent seven years living in the Madison area and went to college at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for four years. He received his bachelor's degree in Atmospheric Sciences from UWM and interned across town with John Malan, whom he credits a lot of his success to.
Nelson was actively involved in the community in his past jobs, has served on boards, and also taught a weather class at UW-Marathon County. It's something he plans to bring with him to CBS58.
He, along with his wife Jackelyn, new baby Jack, and dog Toby (named after the dog from Twister), are charmed to be back in the Milwaukee area.
Articles by Chris Nelson
- Interesting facts about the solar eclipse
- Milwaukee will be in the path of totality in 2099
- Where are the best spots to view the solar eclipse?
- Quick facts about the solar eclipse
- Below average rainfall this month could get some relief this week
- Evening Update: New Severe Thunderstorm Watch Until 9 PM
- Wisconsin sets record for wettest year through July!
- An almost perfect weather day today!
- Decreasing clouds today, nice start to the week!
- Coolest air of the summer!
- 5 PM Afternoon Update: Storms fire this evening, some could turn severe!
- Rain returns, strong to severe storms tomorrow
- Dry spell continues, changes coming midweek!
- Dry for now, cooler and wet weather on the way!
- Prolonged dry pattern setting up into next week
- Cold front will bring beautiful weather for the weekend!
- Warm and muggy conditions will lead to strong storms today....Afternoon Update
- Hot and humid tomorrow with storms likely, some severe
- Much cooler and less humid...storms later this week!
- Heavy Rain and Flash Flooding Possible
- Strong Storms and Heavy Rain Possible Friday
- Heavy Rain and Strong Winds Possible with Storms Tonight
- Heavy Rain and Storms Possible This Week
- Storms Likely Tomorrow Night, Some Strong to Severe
- Flood Warnings Remain for the Southern Tier of the Area Today!
- Strong Storms and Flash Flooding Hammer Parts of the Area Overnight
- Flash Flooding Remains Possible Today With Severe Storms
- Strong Storms and Heavy Rain Possible Starting Early Wednesday
- Storms This Morning, More in the Forecast This Week!
- Severe Storms Possible.....Evening Update
- Watch for the Potential for Severe Weather Thursday
- Another Beautiful 4th of July!
- Weather for the Fireworks and 4th Looking Good!
- Will Storms Impact the Fireworks Again Tonight? It's Possible!
- 5:45PM UPDATE: Tornado watch issued for part of southeast Wisconsin
- Strong to Severe Storms Possible Wednesday
- September-like Temperatures to Start Your Week
- Less Humid and Cooler for the Weekend
- Southeastern Wisconsin the Target for Severe Storms Thursday
- Tropical Storm Cindy Bringing Flooding and Tornadoes to Deep South
- Storms Fire Tonight and Thursday, Some Severe
- Tonight Marks The Summer Season!
- Lingering Storm System Ushers in Chance of Showers and Storms Today
- 10 tornadoes Hit Wisconsin Wednesday, the Most in One Day in Six Years!
- Calmer Day Today with Heat on the Way!
- 3pm Update - Severe Storms in Progress
- Storms Blasted Through Parts of Southeastern Wisconsin
- Evening Update....New Severe Thunderstorm Watch Until Midnight
- Showers and Storms Tonight, Then Big Heat This Weekend
- Sizzling Temperatures By the Weekend!
- Seasonal Rest of Work Week, 90° Possible By Sunday!
- Big Drop in Temps and Windy Early This Week
- Rainy and Mild Spring Season!
- Rainy Days and Below Average Temps the Story This Month
- Showers and Storms Possible Late Tonight
- Warmer Weekend All Around the Badger State
- Memorial Weekend Will Have a Summer-Feel!
- Rain Chances Continue Today, Ending Soon!
- Slow-Moving Storm Bringing Beneficial Rains
- Warmer Today, Showers & Storms Possible Later
- Major Cool Down on the Way!!!
- Tornado Watch for SE Wisconsin Until 1 AM
- Summer-Like Feel Today!
- Summer-Like Feel Today!